Saturday, October 18, 2008

And even more catch up!!







Here is a picture of Levi and Clara wearing their new goggles in the bath. The only remarkable thing about these goggles is that Levi's had to be special ordered from a store in Delaware, they are +6 power and they can be used to spot the mitochondria in single-celled organisms. Heather is really growing up. I've decided that 1 year-old baby girls are very similar to 88 year-old grandmas! They are both equally as cute and endearing. I like little tiny babies...but nothing compares to the light in an older baby's eyes when they figure out that they are clever and funny and make a difference in the world. I love it! We went to this AMAZING art exhibit with Grandma Candy. It was quite a thing to take our three little turkeys. There were guards at every turn, and Matt and I had to be told a million times not to get too close to the paintings by Degas, Renoir, Matisse, Gaugin, Picasso, or the sculptures by Rodin...so you can imagine how nervous Levi made them. It was exhausting to keep the paintings safe from the Fowlers, but it was an amazing experience I'll never forget. One of my favorite moments was looking at the Age of Bronze by August Rodin. I was completely transfixed by the lifelike quality he managed to imbue into the bronze. It was as if I could reach up and squeeze the biceps and the muscle would be warm and soft. Amazing. Another great moment was when we were standing in front of a huge, abstract, somewhat depressing Picasso. Clara stood there in front of the painting, looking up at it, trying to understand. She was so small and beautiful and innocent, and provided such strength and contrast against the bleak message of the painting. I'll remember it forever. Finally, Matt had a few days off work, and we spent our time riding bikes all over Daybreak. We had a picnic, we played in the lake, and Matt, Levi and Clara played for hours on "Shelob's Lair." Actually Levi calls it "SCHLOB'S PLACE," but there's plenty of time to teach him the proper pronunciation of JRR Tolkein's man-eating spider.


1 comment:

Joseph and Katie said...

I am so glad you wrote about the exhibit. It was everything I thought as well. You guys are so great to teach your children from excellent literature - (Shelob's Lair.) The goggles in the tub are a must to detect floating Baby Ruth's and other delights. :) Cute Heather Mowhawk Baby!