I grew up in a house that had a "Christmas Plant" instead of a Christmas Tree. So, although I love the holidays, I don't really know how to celebrate them. Luckily for me I married a guy who knows just what to do. On St. Patrick's day Clara and Levi both wrote letters to the leprechauns, and set out milk and cookies on top of four-leaf-clover cutouts. When they woke up in the morning, the leprechauns had come and turned the milk and cookies green! Then they made footprints all over the notes and left some gold coins (all right, Sacajawea half dollars!). Clara about flipped out. This is the first year that she really understands the holidays and she is so cute. She ran into my room very early in the morning and said with saucer-eyes, "Mom, I'm very surprised!" "The leprechauns came to our house and turned everything green!" She wouldn't touch either the green milk or cookies because she was afraid that it would make her skin turn green. Levi was thrilled about the green milk, and kept saying, "Uh Oh!!"
Easter followed hard upon, and it was equally as fun. I really am afraid that our kids are growing up with their heads filled with too much "magic." But I also know that they're only young once, and someday they'll remember this perfect world they live in and want it back. We went to St. George over the weekend. Levi and Clara did a lot of hiking and arrowhead hunting with Papa Bill and Aunt Betsy, easter egg decorating and hunting, playing with the Smith cousins, and just having the times of their lives.




There was more playing, going for long walks outside on the first truly warm day of the year, going to Leatherby's for ice cream sundaes, sleepovers, and watching the movie "Enchanted" at least 100 times. Heather was amazingly mellow through all the hoopla. She hardly cried at all, and was passed from one adoring cousin to the next. She was so thrilled to be where all the action was. What a lucky life we lead. I was once asked if I could go anywhere in the world, where would it be? A long time ago, I would have had a long list that included Tahiti, Thailand, Paris, Spain, and the like. Now, I'm perfectly content to be wherever my family is. Love to you all.
After we got home, my sister and her family came to stay for a few days...
5 comments:
Very, very sweet Mary. It was great to see you guys too! I need to come up north for a visit sometime soon! Luvs luvs luvs
- bets
I love the pictures and what you wrote about the holidays and magic because they have always been that for our family. I know that your children will never forget the magic they are starting to feel during these precious times together. It really was so great to have your darling family down. You are wonderful parents and have darling children. I hope we get to see more of you all.
Love, Katie
What darling children. I just love the looks on kids' faces at any kind of "magic". For Ben even the "magic eye" toilets that don't require flushing are amazing. What fun you are providing for them. I love the idea of leprechauns turning things green.
Here is a link to that Tom Cruise parody that I told you about
http://eagarbrood.blogspot.com/search?q=tom+cruise
It's a pretty good laugh
Thanks for sharing. I loved reading every bit of your blog; you do have darling children so keep enjoying them. They grow so quickly. Loved seeing y'all the other day. Keep up the good work......
Post a Comment